Headshot

Headshot

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Making a Difference

For those of you who know me well seeing a post at 5:30am in the morning is not a shock.  My day normally starts at 3:30am as I travel to the gym for my daily workout.  This routine helps keep me energized and sane and allows time for quiet reflection.    First I must begin by stating the obvious - SNOW are you  kidding me ~ isn't it supposed to be Spring?  How is it possible for the birds to be chirping with snow on the deck?  Now that I have gotten that out of my system back to the quiet reflection.....
 
This morning my thoughts centered around a Big Brothers & Big Sisters committee meeting I attended yesterday.  The conversation at our meeting focused around messaging and how best to communicate the importance of the organization within the Spokane community.  As we brainstormed ideas the group kept returning to the catch phrase 'what if.....'.  It is this phrase that has continued to replay in my head all morning.  I am reminded that the ability to make a difference isn't dependant on the size of the effort it is the effort itself.  It doesn't matter what your economic status is or your position within the community it is your desire to get involved followed by action that has the power to make a difference.  Time and passion are the most important elements to making a difference in a young persons life.  When you think about it how long does it take to have a conversation and share a life lesson with someone, five minutes?  What if the knowledge and experience you communicated in that five minutes instilled the confidence in a child to succeed and in some cases survive a difficult situation.  What if your message stopped that same child from bullying at school or getting involved in a gang because they recognized the power that positive attitude can have on those around them. 
Today I urge you to think about the many possibilities and what if scenarios that exist around you and remember it may only take a moment but that moment could last a make a life changing difference.
Have a wonderful Thursday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Spokane, Washington, United States
Growing up in a small rural community in Eastern Washington allowed me to discover and grow into the woman you see now. I was born on March 4, 1965 in the Othello hospital and 18 years later graduated from Othello High School ~ go Huskies! I am now a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am deeply committed to emotional and physical health and work diligently to strengthen both my mind and body through exercise. I am a graduate of Whitworth University ~ go Pirates, and Gonzaga University ~ go Zags! My passion is focused on mentoring the youth in our communities by showing them the power of critical thinking and authentic leadership. By applying the principles of emotional intelligence we can successfully arm our youth with the tools to move our global community to the next level. I am currently involved with Big Brothers & Big Sisters as well as HOBY. Both of these organizations share my passion for youth leadership in the community. In addition to youth leadership I am involved with Vanessa Behan's Crisis Nursery. I urge you to view the links I have provided so that you may learn more about these special organizations.